Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Pre-op paperwork is submitted!

Well, some exciting news...Emily's pre-op paperwork has been submitted to Egleston's cardiac group and we will know later this week when her surgery will be.  Since it's elective, we do have a small window of time to choose from, so I am hoping it falls when all of our family is home because we will certainly need to help from all parties! She is expected to stay in the hospital for 7-10 days depending on how well she's recovering.  Billy and I will probably stay in the hospital the first few days with her.  The day of surgery we will not be able to room in with her because she will be in the Cardiac Intensive Care Unit and they do not have private rooms.  Once she's in the regular ICU, we will have a private room and a lovely couch to sleep on. I'll get a taste of what Billy has had to sleep on during our girl's deliveries!  Please pray and keep all fingers crossed that all goes well and no infections or complications arise.

We go tomorrow for her last Synagis shot (an RSV prevention shot) and will have a new weight then.  I'll be sure to post what it is since it's definitely a topic of conversation among all.  I really, really hope it's in the 8.5-9 pound range.  She still eats a lot less than the normal baby...only taking in 15-18 ounces of milk/day.  Most babies require between 25-30.  Her little stomach just cannot handle it.  I am constantly giving her snacks which will probably backfire one day when I try to get her on a more strict schedule.  It's the best for her right now, so who cares about scheduling!?

I am becoming more and more keen on the idea of giving up pumping which most of you know I have done exclusively since birth.  I have 300 of my supply pills left which are really helping me pump like a mad man.  I have about a 4 month supply stored right now and I want to get to 5 months frozen.  Once I finish the rest of my pills, I'm done!  I need a celebration of that day. For many of you breastfeeding moms, it's so simple to just feed from the breast.  I did successfully with Lilly.  Pumping takes so much time and then I must bottle feed, which is a slow, painful process given Emily's issues with sucking and swallowing appropriately.  I'm not as sad this time about quitting as I was with Lilly because I never got the actual breastfeeding experience.  I'm just ready to burn the pump. 

Speaking of feeding, I'm off to give Emily a little snack.  Thank you all for your continued thoughts and prayers!  We absolutely COULD NOT make it through this with the encouragement.

No comments:

Post a Comment