Wednesday, April 10, 2013

One week to go...eeeek!

To start this blog, I want to say THANK YOU to everyone that has posted on Facebook with all the encouragement and kind words you have left on my wall as you've read my posts.  I never know who reads them, and it's so great to see that new and old friends are riding this wave with us-helping us stay focused and sending positive vibes our way.  It really does make all the hard, difficult days manageable when I see the posts telling me/us how strong we are.  Sometimes when you feel so down, it's encouraging to see uplifting words.  This past year has been such a journey for Billy and I.  It has made us work so hard together, communicating in ways we have never done before and relying on one another for encouragement, support, and unconditional love.  At times, I still take myself back to Mexico where Emily began and ask myself if the fruity drinks had anything to do with her struggles.  We have already begun to plan our next getaway and I know that this time, our only goal will be relaxation...no babies :)

This week has been fantastic!  Emily is so, so, so much happier now that we've changed some of her meds and increased her acid reflux medicine.  Last week was probably the most difficult week since her birth.  She cried through every feed resulting in constant frustration and tears on my behalf.  We are so thankful for family that came to the rescue to help feed her and make the evenings more manageable when Billy worked nights.  Without family, this whole journey would have been such a greater struggle.  This week, Emily has eaten all of her bottles...more like a "normal" child would.  She's also been reaching for objects in her jungle gym and toys surrounding her.  It's pretty typical for kids with Down syndrome to forget they have arms and to use their legs and feet to grab items.  It's a milestone in my book to see her grabbing.  In addition, she's also been cooing and interacting with us so much more.  These are goals we had in her IFSP (her plan of goals we set with her therapist) in Charleston.  Tomorrow, we meet with Babies Can't Wait for her evaluation to begin services here. 


This week has also been great for Lilly.  She's had so much fun playing at the park with friends and we took her to the Yellow River Game Ranch today to see some animals.  She had SO MUCH FUN!  Billy was off and was able to come too.  It was such a wonderful day topped off by a date night with April and Dan. 


Today marks one week until surgery day.  I'm getting nervous...time is nearing...I'm trying to stay calm.  Essentially, for a small period of time, Emily won't even be living on her own.  Bypass machines will work for her.  It's so, so, so scary to think of this.  I get nervous and scared thinking of the doctors running all her lines and poking her.  I know it will cause pain and I don't want that for my little girl.  There are so many people here supporting us that it will be much easier to get through the surgery and the difficult days afterwards.

As I get ready to go to bed tonight, I reflect upon all the great aspects in our life.  I am so grateful for each and every person keeping us in their thoughts and prayers!

No comments:

Post a Comment